Day two of our Christmas celebrations we have a ‘how to’ guide showing you how to export modified budgets in Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central provides the option of creating budgets by using export and import functions. This allows you to export budgets to Excel by using the Export Budget to Excel batch job and modify them as needed before importing them back in for a quick changes that need to be made.
Exporting an existing Budget
2. Open the budget that you would like to Export.
3. Once the Budget is open, press the ‘Process’ button on the ribbon and select ‘Export to Excel.’
4. Using the filters provided to you in the option menu below, select the appropriate filters for your requirements. Make sure you also set the number of periods you would like the budget to include. In this instance, I wanted the whole of the ‘2020’ Budget with 12 Periods and I changed no filters.
In this example, I have also selected the Dimension ‘COSTCENTRE’ to align my budget to specific dimensions. I have done this by pressing the assist edit
- Press ‘OK’ and open the downloaded excel sheet to see your exported budget.
Modifying an exported Budget
Once you have exported your budget you can then start modifying it using the excel spreadsheet that was created by Dynamics 365 Business Central.
- Open the Excel spreadsheet containing the exported budget (as demonstrated in the previous section of this document)
- Use Excels functions to calculate and modify the budgets for each G/L Account listed in your budget.
In this example, I wanted the G/L Account in relation to Operating Equipment to have a total Annual Budget of £24,000. So, I split the cost across the whole 12 months. I also aligned this to the BUSINESS COSTS Costcentre Code.
- Make sure any changes you make are saved by saving the excel document frequently.
Importing a modified Budget
Now that we have modified the budget, you can then import it back into the same screen that you have exported it from. It is always advised that you follow the Exporting a Budget steps before performing the below as exporting will give you the format that the fields need to be modified in.
- Navigate to the Budgets page
2. Open the budget that you would like to import
3. Once the Budget is open, press the ‘Process’ button on the ribbon and select ‘Import from Excel’
4. When the options menu appears, make sure you select ‘Replace entries’ if you are updating a Budget.
Or as an alternative, choose ‘Add entries’ if you made no modifications.
5. Press ‘OK’ and use the ‘Choose…’ button to select your modified budget.
6. Your Modified Budget has now been successfully imported!
From this menu, you can then drill down into the budget by clicking the blue value in Budgeted Amount to see all the entries that have been created.
If you would like to know more about Microsoft Dynamics NAV/365 Business Central give us a call on 01345 257 1173 or drop us an email on email@example.com